Sunday, May 31, 2009

Welcome to My Recipe(ez) Blog

Hello everyone and welcome to my recipe(ez) blog.

I love to cook. And since quitting my job almost 2 years ago and becoming a stay-at-home wife - I love to cook even more. When you work 8 hours a day (I was actually working more like 10 hours a day - and working on weekends too!) and throw in another hour for travel to and from work, cooking delicious meals when you get home seems like a horrible, tiring chore. It is not fun at all. To all working Mothers out there who somehow manage to work a full day, come home and cook wonderful meals for their families - I salute you! But even though it was only my husband and myself (it still is - we were DINKS - now I guess we are SINKS) - coming home from work and starting to make cabbage rolls or spaghetti and meatballs for 3-4 hours did not seem like much fun at all. I tried to prepare delicious meals on the weekend - but as I already noted - for the last several years of my job - I was working weekends too!

But now, having tightened our belts, learning to cut down on unnecessary expenses and starting to grow a large amount of our own food - I have had the absolute joy of being able to stay home from my job and focus on keeping our household together and COOK! Have I mentioned that I love to cook? The only thing I love more than cooking is feeling completely satisfied with being a stay-at-home wife. I love my husband and we love our life - we are very fortunate and very grateful to be able to live this life.

Anyway...over the past 2 years I have tried and learned a bunch of new, and sometimes, exotic recipes. Don't get fooled by the word exotic - I come from the east coast of Canada where we eat fish or meat, potatoes and veg at every single meal. I love my down-home comfort foods as much as any exotic dish - but like I said - since staying home I have had more time to learn and try exotic foods.

And although I am very organized in some ways - in other ways I am a tiny bit of a slob. One of those ways is my recipe book...it's pretty horrific. Don't believe me? Here's a couple of pics...


















Yes, my recipe book is your average standard black and ugly 3-ring binder. And yes, the front of it is covered in "spills".


And although my wonderful husband went out and got me a 3-hole punch specifically for my recipe binder, as you can see below...I very rarely use it. No, if I find a recipe that I like on the Internet - I print it off and just shove the loose pages in my binder. You can even see a handwritten recipe that a friend gave me in the pic below. I have several handwritten recipes shoved loosely throughout the binder.


















However, as seen in the next pic, some of the recipes have been hole-punched and are sitting properly in the binder - but as can be seen in the last pic - even the ones that have been hole-punched are a mess from me constantly rummaging through loose pages and pulling out ones that actually are in the binder!!!



































Hence, my need for this blog. I have promised myself that each time I put up a new recipe, I will print it, hole-punch it and put it in a nicer binder with reinforcements around the holes. I am promising this to myself and fully intend to keep my promise (I hope - haha!).


As well...when I first started scouring the internet for various recipes...I found several blogs that contained recipes and I found these very helpful. So now I feel it is time for me to "pay it forward" if you will...and share some of my favourite recipes. I hope that someone, somewhere will find this blog interesting, helpful or useful. But if not, it will at least be my attempt at keeping my recipes all in one spot and trying to share with others.

And one last thing - we try to be as organic as possible - it's really easy when you are growing your own food from heirloom seeds and use ABSOLUTELY NO PESTICIDES OR CHEMICALS - it's also really easy when you have an amazing farmer's market AND Farmboy Store located only 3 blocks from your house.

So anyway, welcome to my Recipe(ez) Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment